The Nigerian Army, on Monday, refuted reports alleging the diversion of the Ration Cash Allowance of troops deployed to secure Chinese nationals working at the ongoing Zungeru Hydro Electricity Dam Project in Niger State.
In a report by some online media platforms last week, some troops alleged that they had not been paid their RCA for three months by their erstwhile Commanding General Officers, Maj. Gen. Alabi and Brig. Gen. Jamiu Jimoh, accusing them of diverting their allowance.
However, the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig. Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, in a statement on Monday, said the service under the current leadership had zero tolerance for any form of financial misappropriation among other actions which could dampen the morale of troops.
He noted that after investigating the claims in the report, the service found that the allegations were incorrect.
Onyema explained that the allowance was paid in tranches, noting that the last part had been on February 28, 2023.
He added that while the next tranche was being processed, the service had paid the affected troops allowance from March to June.
He said, “Preliminary investigation reveals that troops deployed to the Chinese company in Niger State have always been paid in tranches by the NA on receipt of the funds from the institution concerned.
“Accordingly, the last tranche payment of RCA by the affected institution for the troops deployed, elapsed on February 28, 2023. While the next tranche of payment is being processed, Army Headquarters has paid the troops covering the period March 1 to June 30, 2023, in a bid to ameliorate the operating conditions of the troops and keep them at par with deployments elsewhere.
“Additionally, to cushion the effect of the tranche mode of payment, provision was made to feed the troops daily and this has been a routine. The troops’ RCA was, therefore, not diverted by any of the senior officers named in the publication or anyone else, as wrongly portrayed.”